Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dehydrating Mushrooms - Blessing My Way

Last week, I shared how I got broccoli from our local food bank. They also had extra mushrooms that day. 
 
I shared in that post about having gotten cases of Portabello mushrooms a few years ago and how they were just about gone now. Here is a link to that post. 
 
I got a bunch of sliced mushrooms from the food bank and I LOVE when we get mushrooms that way as it is so easy to dehydrate them. Basically, you can just dump the washed and sliced mushrooms onto dehydrator trays.
 
I usually rinse them if they aren't really washed well but these were washed very well and I only ended up throwing away one or two stem pieces out of all the cases.

I like using the non-stick trays as it makes flipping them half way through very easy. I just put an empty tray over the tray holding the mushrooms and flip it upside down. It is quick and easy.
 
I have to say that the smell in the house while you are drying mushrooms is quite overwhelming so during this time, I usually keep a diffuser going with a nice smelling oil in it. Click here to see what I am talking about as this post has links to several posts about it.

I usually dehydrate them for 24 hours at about 130 degrees. I store them in Tupperware as I have found that is the best to keep them fresh. Make sure it is newer as the older Tupperware can cause your food to smell like plastic. Here is a post where I talk about that and why I like the Tupperware.

Once again, I feel truly blessed that I seem to get just what I need when I need it. My Heavenly Father takes good care of my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment