Thursday, October 3, 2013

Inexpensive Diffueser of Essential Oils

If you have ever purchased a glass diffuser or a cold diffuser, you know they are not cheap. I have purchased many different types over the years and have broken a few  They are wonderful and keep the oils active. When you heat essential oils, it kills some of the effect, similar as to when you boil your vegetables verses steaming them.
 
My kids knocked over my glass diffuser and the little part that directs the oil scent at the top broke. It still works without the top on it but the other issue I have with those is that sometimes, the tiny hole where the air goes into the bottle gets clogged and then you have to run alcohol through the unit and even then sometimes it won't unclog. 

The other issue I have is that sometimes depending on the unit, the air compressor/filter isn't strong enough to get much oil into the air or it is too strong and you have to keep unplugging it. 

I pondered on a cheap and inexpensive way to make my own air diffuser without the cost and hassle of the glass jars. 

I came up with a brilliant solution. I kept my eye out at second hand stores for nebulizers for asthma patients. I have over the years found several for between $5 and $15. 

I also keep my eye out for oxygen tubing. They often have it at estate sales still in the bags new. I find them occasionally at the second hand stores for $1 a unit. 

I buy the "Now" brand of bulk oils from any health food store to diffuse. If I am using the oils on a person, I usually use organic and pure oils and blends from a reputable source but for diffusing, I figure the "Now" brand is great and less expensive since they deal with bulk pricing. 

I mix whatever oils I want to use in one of the larger oil bottles. You can't use this method in a small jar as the oils with bubble over. You could use any glass container but I like the larger jars as you can put a cap on it if you don't want to diffuse the oil at that time and then take the top off and use it at any point and the oil doesn't get thick sitting out or it doesn't spill or get dust in it as it would with many of the other types of diffusers. 

I take the glass dropper off the end of a dropper top and then cut off the nose or face end of the oxygen cannula or mask DON'T cut off the green end of the oxygen tubing. I then attach the oxygen green adapter to the compressor pulmonary nebulizer unit. Take the other end of the tubing with the glass dropper on it and put it in the large jar with about a tablespoon of the oils blend or single oil you wish to diffuse. 

Don't fill the jar as it will bubble out and it can damage wood and finished surfaces.

Just put enough in the jar to cover the bottom and maybe an eighth of an inch at the bottom. 

Make sure the glass dropper is touching the bottom of the jar. Place the jar where it won't be knocked over or tipped. You can probably place the jar inside another jar with decorative stones or marbles in it just in case it gets bumped, it won't tip over.

You will see a fine cloud of mist coming out of the jar very quickly and will be able to smell the oil within seconds. 

PLEASE read about each oil you intend to use and make sure it is safe for everyone in your family. Sometimes Cinnamon can cause irritation and difficulty breathing if you add too much and leave it running for a long time. Some oils are not good for pregnant women etc. Research any oil you are going to use and make sure it is safe.


There are blends you can purchase but just because you purchased it doesn't mean it is safe for everyone.


You can see here, how the diffuser with the fish tank aerator is barely moving and then in the picture below, it is bubbling tons when I put the nebulizer glass tipped one in the same glass jar so you could see the difference. 

This type of diffuser is great for large offices, warehouses (great for keeping mold away) and doing a fast diffuse in your home. 

If someone has been sick, just put the entire thing on a cookie sheet and put it in every room rotating it every ten minutes. Set an alarm and move it to the next room after ten minutes. It will clear out the entire house in an hour or so. 

These machines are not made to run continually. They are for asthmatic treatments which usually last a few minutes but not hours on end. They typically get hot after about 15 minutes.

I would NEVER leave it running and leave the house. It is for short term use and a way to quickly make your home smell good or to clear out an illness. 

If you study aromatherapy, you will read study after study where it shows Cinnamon and Clove killing all the airborne bacteria etc at hospitals. When my mother was in ICU for about four months, we put "thieves" oil on gauze and put it behind the fan in her room and she was one of the only patients that didn't die while there. We went through many families losing loved ones in the months we were in the visiting rooms. Not only did it help boost her immune system, it cleared away all those "not so nice" hospital smells.

I have posts about Tea Tree oil or Melaleuca and it's use for burns here.

I have a post about Tea Tree Oil or Melaleuca oil for teething, cavity, pulling teeth and wisdom teeth extraction here.

Here is a post about use of different oils - Oregano, Thieves etc. 

Here is a post on how to make insect repellant and bed bug spray. 

I have a post about Oils and how to acquire them cheap and some uses here.

I have a post about using my favorite oil "Thieves" here.

Lastly, I made a video and put it on youtube as it is horrible to try and upload on this site. With my slow internet, I had it uploading all morning. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article. I’ve read in many other places before that but
    I did not get this type of effective and more useful text. It is really important now to
    vary your anchors as this seems more natural to user.
    This article helped me a lot to understand information.

    ReplyDelete