Monday, May 18, 2015

Making Baby Food from Dehydrated Fruits and Vegetables

I have posted about dehydrating bananas before. It was five years ago and one of my first posts. I share in this post how I dehydrate and store lots of fruits and vegetables. Here is a link to that post. 
 
I also share in a post about my favorite waffles how I use Banana Flour in them if I don't have fresh or frozen bananas to use. Click here for that post. 

What I didn't share about in those posts, is how to make healthy baby food using dehydrated fruits and vegetalbes. 

In this post I link to below, I share about using the carrot pulp from juicing vegetable and dehydrate it and make vegetable flours. 
 
I didn't share in that post that you can use the vegetable powders to make healthy baby food. Click here for the vegetable flour post.
 
I show in my newest video at the top of this post how to dehydrate the bananas and then to grind them into flour using a vitamix or another blender that can blend dry ingredients.
 
You can also use a coffee grinder for smaller amounts. When you are using it for baby food, make sure it is completely ground and there are no chunks that could be difficult for baby to swallow.  

Also, this would be for a baby that is already eating cereal and more complex foods. 
 
We would feed our babies food from the table that we would blend up and this is similar / age appropriate. 

However, this is for the times when you are away from home and carrying glass jars would be heavy and cumbersome.
 
By making the flours and baby food ahead of time, you can be assured that it is chemical free and you made it start to finish so you are sure what has been added. 
 
I show in the first post link above how I had bananas from years ago and you couldn't tell which was older as long as they are in an airtight environment, they stay fresh if you didn't add any other ingredients on them. 
 
If you do this Jello coated recipe, you are then subject to them being fresh as long as the item you put on them stays fresh. Oils tend to go bad so if you coat them with anything that has fats in it, such as yogurt, it could go rancid.    

Basically, any vegetable or fruit you dehydrate, you can make into flour and then into baby food. Just add water until it is the consistency of actual baby food. Don't give it to them too dry as it could choke them. 

Make sure that you only introduce one item of food each week so that you can make sure there are no allergies to that item. 

I know cantaloupe and strawberries have a high percentage of people who are allergic to them. Try new things slowly and make certain they are all finely ground flour texture before adding water. 

I hope I was able to give you some healthy alternatives to baby food on the go!        

No comments:

Post a Comment