Friday, March 20, 2015

Dehydrating Avocado Pits For Health

I shared in my post yesterday that I  froze about 100 avocados for future use. 

I got a few cases from the local food bank that had overages and spent many hours sharing those overages with local friends and neighbors. 


After freezing all the avocados, I had a sink full of avocado pits. I usually just throw them into my mulch pit. (See a post about my mulch pit here.)


Having so many, I thought I would look up the health benefits or any recipes that were online for avocado pits. 

To my surprise, there were some great health benefits listed for avocado pits. There are different studies and they are listed as great antioxidants. They are reported to have high calcium, magnesium and potassium as well as some anti-tumor properties. 

Once I started cutting the pits, they have the texture of water chestnuts, I peeled off the outer brown covering that is like a brown paper bag texture. 

I thought that the pits would dry whiteish as that is the color they are when cut, similar to the color of water chestnuts. 


I found it very interesting that the outside of the pit, not matter how I cut it, turned near black when drying. There must be some type of different chemical on the outside of the pit to make it turn black when drying. 
 
I sliced them and dehydrated them at 130 degrees for 48 hours. Once they were dried, I bagged them into snack sized baggies and then put those bags into a gallon sized bag to be used later.
 
I ground some of them in the vitamix to have ready to use. But, I am sure it is better to have fresh ground so that is why I left most of them in pieces to grind in the coffee grinder to eat fresh. 

I do the same with the apricot and plum pits I eat. Here is a post about that. 


Just a reminder, anything you eat with avocados, you absorb better. Also, black pepper has the same effect so if you are going to take vitamins, eat an avocado with some black pepper on it to help absorb them.

4 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm interested in beginning to detox and digestive repair (and hopefully subsequent weight loss). Do I need a professional dehydrator to dry them out or is there another way? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alicia, I think you can dehydrate them in a low oven or if you live in a dry area, cut them thin and let them dry on the counter. I think the longer it takes to dry them and the hotter the dryer, my guess is you are losing health benefits.I am not an expert but if you don't have a dehydrator, I would probably slice them thin and use a tray in the oven on the lowest setting for a day or two depending on how low your oven will go. Be safe and don't leave the oven unattended and on but my guess is that could work for you. Or, see if you can blend them and then dehydrate them if you have a strong blender. They would dry very quickly if blended. I would put them on saran wrap on a cookie sheet to dry the pulp, my guess is 12 hours or so if you make it a thin coating. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you dehydrate? What do I need to buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Here is a link to my comparison of different dehydrators and why I like the kind I use. It is on my
      youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilwdw1oJ5i0
      If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you don't want to dehydrate anything else, see if you can borrow one or you can dehydrate them on a cookie sheet in the over on the lowest temp possible and break them open every few hours to make sure they are really dry or they can mold. I also have many posts on this blog about dehydrating vegetables and fruit you can look at for references as well. Just type in "Dehydrator" or "dehydrating" into the search box at the bottom of the home page. Hope that helps. :-)

      Delete