Friday, August 15, 2014

Cheveron T-Shirt Blessing - Snoopy Quilt Part 3

It is interesting how things happen in life just when you need them to happen. My Angels must work overtime!

My sister and her husband decided a few months ago that they were going to start a T-shirt printing shop. I thought that it was an odd choice at their point in life as he has always worked on cars in someway doing detailing, auto-body work, custom painting and now makes "Rat Rods" which are custom made souped up antique cars that are made from rusty parts found anywhere. The rustier the better! 


Anyway, I had them make our camp shirts for us a few months ago and they did a great job. I knew the school would be ordering shirts for the play "You're a good man Charlie Brown." so I suggested to Princess Five that she have her Uncle do the shirts. 

Right about the same time they were ordering the shirts, Princess Three and I were pulling out the stuff for her quilt. I told her I thought it would be cute if we could find some old shirts and put the cheveron pattern on lots of different colored shirts and we could make a row out of them. 

I called my sister and asked if she would let me come and put the pattern on some shirts when they were doing the shirts for the high school. She said she would. I went to pick up the shirts from their shop and my sister showed me how to "screen print" the shirts I brought. I have never seen that done and I have never done it before so it was interesting to see that process. I had no idea how much work went into printing shirts, especially those with lots of different colors on them. 

They let me do as many shirts as I had and I made one for each of us to wear to the play to support Princess Five. Princess Four was actually in the play until she found out that her ambassador retreat was the same week so she missed out being in the play but drove the two hours to support her sister in the lead as "Lucy" tonight. It was WONDERFUL to have two princesses there supporting their sister. She did a great job and got the biggest applause at the curtain call. My twin nieces went and whispered in their mom's ear that they thought Princess Five was the best in the play while the play was still going and the sad part was they missed her favorite song which she is SO good at singing. "Schroeder" is the song where she is talking about marrying him. She is SO adorable when she sings it to him.

I got a bit carried away there talking about her in the play. Back to the story, my sister allowed me to make them and tonight after the play, I pinned them all end to end making one long cheveron out of seven different colored t-shirts. I then sewed them together and now that they are all sewed together, she can cut them to the right height for the row. You can't get all the t-shirt printing to line up exactly on the shirts so some were towards the bottom, some towards the middle and some more at the top so if we cut the t-shirts before sewing them all together, the row wouldn't be the same height. As the shirts were just old one's I had and are all sizes and types of fabric they had to be sewed first before cutting. Tomorrow, Princess Three will cut off the excess and then we can start pinning and sewing the quilt top. I only have a few more squares to stitch together before the squares will all be done. 


These quilts take forever to make but I am glad I can see some progress as we need to finish the entire thing by this time next week if she is to have it at college with her as I am not sure when I will see her after that.

I am so grateful that they decided to print shirts just when I needed them and that I had shirts that would work and that I didn't think about it after the screens were thrown away and that she chose to make the quilt just when the play was going on and for all those other things that had to line up to make this all work out so wonderfully. I even have enough to make a pillow cases for her long body pillow that will match. 

No comments:

Post a Comment