Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Return of an OLD Friend - Crissy

I was at a second hand store the other day and in their collectable case was this "Crissy" doll. I knew immediately what it was. This toy was one of my earliest memories. Her hair grows when you push on her belly button and gets quite long and then to make it go short again, you wind a button shaped thing on her lower back. 


I called my sister from the store and asked her if she remembered the doll. She did. I also asked her if she remembered the doll we had that would change the eye color when you would do something to it's back and she said she did. 

She then related the story about how that doll was no longer our doll as one of her friends really wanted it so they traded her for another toy and my mother was not happy as that was a VERY expensive doll. 


I remember three of my early toys. I remember Crissy, the eye changing colored doll and my nursing kit I got after all my hospitalizations. (Click here to see the post about that.)


They were asking $20 for the doll but that was more than I was willing to pay. 

Also, someone had painted her face with makeup. She is missing her shoes but I was thrilled with the condition of the dress and she still has her hair ribbons.
 
I loved that the original price tag was on the box and that it came with the box. Someone used lots of packing tape on the box so it isn't in the best condition but it still is fun to have.

The doll sat in the case for a few weeks and so I asked the manager if he would come down on the price so I got "Crissy" in the box for $8. 

I think it would make a great birthday present for my sister but I may just put it on the shelf in the toy room with some other vintage toys I have as she is so cute and her hair is still in great condition as well. 
 
Just looked on eBay and there is a similar one with four bids and is at $10.50 and she is missing her shoes as well. 

The original price in the sixties was $11.99. I figured me getting it for less than the original price was a good deal considering the doll is my age, she is in better shape than I am at this point! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment