Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Snoopy Quilt Part 4 - Favorite Square Part - 1


I finished sewing the individual squares for the Snoopy quilt tonight. I sorted through some scanned pictures and found this one of Princess One wearing the Snoopy dress about age three. 

When I told Princess Three that I clearly remember Princess One wearing it, she said, something about it being Princess four or five wearing it but I knew Princess One wore it as I remember her doing her little picture pose. She has all her pictures now and they didn't get scanned as they didn't save after she scanned them all and never wanted to go back and scan them so I don't have those to go through but found this one in Princess Two's scanned pictures. 


It has taken lots of time but there are a few squares that are some of my all time favorite squares as they are things I haven’t done before. I have done hats into squares (click here for that post.) And, I have done overalls into squares. (Click here for that post.)

Tonight, I finished sewing on tags and labels from shirts and pajama pants that are all “Snoopy” tags. When I was cutting the shirts into squares, I noticed that there were many different types of tags. One would think that since they are all copyrighted that they would have one tag for all the shirts. No, there were at least 10 different tag styles and sizes.
 
I had the idea that if we needed an extra square somewhere, we could save the tags and labels and sew them onto a square.

We had the back of a little Snoopy dress that was actually one of my favorite dresses on them when they were little. I thought it would be cute to sew them on there. I pinned them on and asked Princess Three what she thought. She thought it was a great idea so I started to hand sew them on and they started to fray and so I machine sewed them with a zig-zag on the edges to keep them from fraying.
 
I didn’t like how it looked but didn’t see any other option but when I finished with them, I actually liked how it looked. With the t-shirt fabric, I pinned it under on the edges so they wouldn’t fray and hand stitched one on but didn’t like how that looked either so I used the same color thread as the shirt and sewed them on with a straight stitch. I thought it looked better and took SO much less time. We are on a deadline to finish it in the next few days as well as a computer desk project so we need to get it finished.

I thought it was so cute that I took a picture of the finished square so you could see it done. If all goes well, tomorrow, we will start sewing the squares together! Yahoo for that.
 
I wanted to show the difference in the label so I took some close up shots of them. Some are silky but aren’t hemmed and it is printed on and not woven. Those will fray and needed to be done on the machine all the way around.

Some are woven and quite well made and won’t fray but they have a white line or another color at the top where it is sewn into the shirt. I just folded that part over the top and rolled the entire thing down making the fold on the bottom a bit lower so that the line didn’t show. I am pointing to a blue one that I did that with and you can see it folded over if you blow it up.

 
I also took close up pictures of the tags where one is printed and fraying and one is linen, woven and folded over.

I show how I folded over the t-shirt ones where the Snoopy is printed onto the t-shirt rather than having a tag sewn in. I folded them under as I explained and I took a close up so you can see that as well. 
 
I found a straight stitch close to the edge to sew those on worked better than the zig-zag as it stretched the fabric as you can see on the bottom of the white Snoopy t-shirt print. It waved on the bottom because I used zig-zag. When I used a straight stitch on them like you can see in the top finished picture, they didn't warp as much.  


I thought the fabric tags looked like postage stamps after I sewed them all on. 

It is one of my favorite squares now as I loved the dress and now love the quilt square.

No comments:

Post a Comment