Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Quilting for Humanitarian - Thanks to Family





I have a relative who is a master quilter. She has won awards for her quilts and actually gets paid to quilt other peoples quilt tops. Ever since I met her, she has been a quilter. She always has a bag with her and is working on something wonderful.

She works at a fabric store. I don't think she makes much but the discount in fabric for her quilting probably makes working there worth it for her.

She went through her quilt room a few weeks ago and put a note online asking if anyone wanted some fabric.


Several family members asked to view the fabric. A niece went through it first and then Princess number one went through and took some out and has already made a few projects. She then brought it to me.

I told my sister-in-law that whatever anyone didn't use, we would take to the humanitarian group that meets twice a week in our town making and donating things to hospitals, woman shelters and to the needy. 

Also inside the boxes were several cute wall hangings that were colorful or could be little baby blankets. 
 
The humanitarian group makes colorful wall hangings to send to orphanages in other countries for the babies to have something stimulating to look at other than bland, blank walls. 

I was excited to see some cute things already made to donate. I am glad she didn't just give them to good will as I think they will do a greater good through this avenue. 

She had several quilts already cut and in bags. I don't know how she had things organized before but I ended up spending a day sorting them by color into baggies where they would be more easily used for quilts.

She also had some pillow squares done that I also donated to the humanitarian group. They just needed stuffing or pillow forms in them. I need to call and ask her if she has the patterns for the quilts she cut and started so they will be easier for someone to make without guessing. It would be sad for them to get almost finished and figure they didn't have enough fabric cut the right way to finish the pattern. 

With her working in a fabric store, she can purchase the fabric at a discount. For someone like me, the fabric that was passed on would probably cost hundreds of dollars if not more. It is all coordinating pieces. 

Thanks to her generosity, I hope lots of people can benefit from the fabric she willingly shared. I know I love her generosity. She made us all camping pillowcases with cute four wheel drive vehicles on them. I will smile each time I use it. 

She is so creative and I am grateful that she shares her talents with us in so many ways. I don't think there is one family member that hasn't gotten some hand made gift from her. 

I am so blessed with an amazing and generous family!

No comments:

Post a Comment