Thursday, February 7, 2013

Would You Believe..... MP3 Hoarder


I spent another night and day clearing off computers. I finally got my old computer working right and cleaned it off making sure I had copies of all the pictures and documents that were on it as well as looking at all the ZIP drives disks that I have found all over in cleaning the house out.

The stuff on them was from 2002 but I did find some cute pictures. I was hoping to find some I lost a few years ago when my computer had to be wiped but missed out on those. There are a few years in the middle between camera film pictures and the better digital pictures that I lost. Perhaps I didn't really want to remember those days...

Anyway, it felt great tonight to be able to pack up the old computer, haul out that large monitor and know that it is going to a good cause. I still have one old laptop that I can't remember the password to get in so I will have to do some spy work to figure out how to get into that one. I know someone who would be good at that but he isn't around anymore so I will have to figure this one out on my own. lol

After clearing out the computers, I started work on another pile of stuff I had ready to sort through. I cleaned out all the electronic stuff about a week ago and pulled all the chords, wires, plugs and mp3 players together to decide what we can get rid of now that they are all together. I laughed at the stack of stuff. They aren't cameras, just MP3 players and mini video players. These two are quite sad. The photo viewer clip on the left, we never could get to work. The mini media player on the right has 128 megabytes of memory. It does video on a one inch screen. I don't think it would hold a full video. :-)

These little "clips" were actually quite good I thought. I bought three about five years ago. They hold about 6oo songs and are similar to the iPod mini clips. Not able to do much in the way of play lists but the sound was ok and I liked the size and that the headphones clipped on to the "clip" itself. It was also fun that there were four or five color choices they could use to change out.

They each had one of these. I still use one sometimes when I am in a tree pruning or something as I scratched the iPod working in the yard last year.

Four years ago, we got these "Element" players with a 2 inch screen and they have play lists with a touch type screen. They hold lots of songs and have a good battery life. However, as the name suggests, they aren't "elemental." I have never been able to get a movie to play on them. The screen is so sensitive that if you touch it once, it will flip through several screens and the menu and working screen is confusing and takes me several tries each time I use it.

This last one is a recorder and player. It has come in handy many times. In fact, I sent it to Princess Two just before she left to go to Taiwan so she could have a few of her favorite songs while she was there. She couldn't take her iPod because she couldn't have something with a screen. I guess they don't want the natives to get jealous or something. We had had this one the longest and it still works well and holds a charge.

I feel like I took a long trip down memory lane. I should pull out the cd players and walkman stuff. I think I only have one left that is in my Suburban. The suburban is so old, it only has a tape deck, so I used it to play my talk cd's when I drive long distances. I don't take that car on long distances much due to the gas consumption but when we do, we now listen to iPods instead.

The girls got the iPods several years ago on Valentines day (see the post about it here) and have never looked back or used the mp3 players again. Why would they? The iPod is so much further advanced. Things are progressing so quickly now. Can you believe that these things were the coolest five years ago? Now every 2 year old can use an iPod and cell phone to watch netflix or download an app.

It is nice to be saying "Goodbye" to so many things. I wonder where we will be in another five years... Will we look back at our iPads and think they are old as these things are now?....

The entire thing reminds me of people. Some are colorful. Some are square and "touchy." Some make lots of noise or just listen to you. Some you observe. Some have all the bells and whistles, yet don't follow through with their promises and let you down when they don't live up to their expectations. And some are mostly used for games. In the end however, they all work to some degree doing the same thing. Deep down, we are all the same with a few variances.


If I were an MP3 player, would I be useful, dependable, functional, colorful, sturdy and bring enjoyment to those I serve? I hope so

No comments:

Post a Comment