Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Quickest Cut for Watermelon and Other Melons

I had some company over the other day as we were having a party. I bought a watermelon and it was hard and flavorless so I had my daughter take it back to the store and exchange it. I made sure she had them cut it open at the store and make sure it was ok. 

Because of that delay, we were running late. I was working the bar-b-cue and asked someone to cut the watermelon.

I came in and only half the melon was cut because the way it was cut, it wouldn't fit in the large bowl I had out for it. 

I had never thought much about cutting melons but I have tried many ways over the years. Melon balls are always cute but take wayyyyy to much time for me. 

If you know me, you know if it can be done quicker or easier, I will find it. So, I re-cut the melon and on the second half, I showed princess number 3 how to do it with only ten cuts or less per quarter depending on the size of squares you want. 

Cut the melon into quarters length wise. Take a knife and cut it long like french fries into pieces as thick as you want them. I like them bite size so I usually cut three or four lines down the melon. 

Then, you cut it cross ways which makes it into a bunch of squares but they are held by the rind.  If it is a watermelon, I will have to do two or three middle cuts to get them to the size I want but on this honeydew, I only had to cut them off the rind. Basically, you cut them like in this picture but just not at the rind if it is a large melon and then cut them off the rind after you have cut the tops off into the bowl. 

All in all, this method takes me about three minutes for a large melon. It makes it nice as there aren't rinds to deal with when people are eating. Children don't have sticky arm trails and chin trails from the water in the melon running off because the pieces are small enough for them to fit into their mouths. I like it the most for storage and time issues. Because it is cut up off the rind, it can fit in a bowl and keeps it fresher and no juice is leaking in the fridge. It is also so quick to cut, other ways take up more time.  

When I was showing my Princess number three how to cut the watermelon, she told me I should blog it so she could remember it and others could see how fast it was, so this one's for you Princess!

I don't know why this post makes me feel so lame. It seems like such a stupid thing to blog about as I thought everyone would cut it up this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment