Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter Camping Fun At the Dunes Part 4


I had to add this post about camping as my brother came up with this cool invention. He knew how the children liked using the zip-lines at camp so he rigged up this fun invention this year for us to use at the sand dunes.


He welded some pipe to fit into his trailer hitch. He bought the cable and rigged up everything he needed to on the top of his 4 wheel drive van so that he could drive up to the top of a dune and put his invention to the test. He had an anchor that he tried but it wouldn't hold in the dry sand so we drove my suburban up and they clamped a loop over my hitch pin so they could get a tight line.


For the handle, he used an old bike handle and added a wrist strap for safety. It took a few tries to get it right but after that, the line never stopped.


Even though the kids had to drag the zip-line back up the dunes for the next rider, they didn't seem to mind. If you look at my daughters smile at the bottom of her ride, you can see that it was a fun activity and that it was worth the work.


The cousins also played as they do burying people in the sand, jumping off the dunes and just having fun playing games. This is the first year I haven't done lunch at the dunes so I sat and quilted as I soaked up some sun. This was also the first year that none of my girls were buried in the sand. They did make a little sand castle as there was some moist sand at the bottom of a dune. Each year brings something fun and new. I just wanted to share my amazing brothers idea with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment