Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cleaning Nail Polish off Wool Carpet


We had a wonderful early Christmas until I dropped a bag of nail polish on the floor. A black and a hot pink polish broke open and splattered on my light carpet. I was already tired but that isn't something you can put off cleaning until another time.


I have never gotten nail polish on the carpet before and wasn't sure how to proceed to remove it. The Internet was down so my daughter couldn't look up any tips.


My first thought was to use non-acetone nail polish remover with cotton balls and to blot the spot with a paper towel after. My oldest helped me as we knew we needed to keep the spots wet so they wouldn't "Set" in the carpet. So, I soaked cotton balls and placed them on the spots to keep them wet.



We then put cotton on with the remover and then blotted with the paper towel. Soon, the carpet had been rubbed so much we had dark grey spots and the remover wasn't working anymore.


At this point the internet started working and there were many tips about trying hydrogen peroxide amongst other things. We tried that and it didn't work. I tried some peppermint oil as I remembered that it took a finish off wood and that did work some but I was worried about it leaving a greasy stain. I tried another type of oil. No luck with that. I tried the dry clorox/oxy wash for the washing machine with no luck. I also tried "Zout" which I have used many times for paint, grass, blood, red Popsicle, blueberry juice and rust. It has gotten all of those items out very well. However, it didn't work well for the polish.


I finally tried "The Ultimate Cleaner" and was VERY HAPPY! I don't think it would have worked on the polish had we not used the polish remover to get the majority off. However, once the polish was rubbed in and kind of a muddle of color, the "Ultimate Cleaner" took the rest out.


I squirted the cleaner on and scrubbed with my finger. I then added a few drops of water and then blotted with the paper towel until I couldn't get any more color out. The carpet is clean but is a little frayed on the spots where we scrubbed. I think I wouldn't have scrubbed so much with the remover if I did it again but I am not putting that out there! :-)


I think if I had taken the time to carpet clean after, it would have even looked better but I didn't want to get into that big of a project today.

No comments:

Post a Comment