Monday, December 13, 2010

Magazine Rack from a Wine Rack

The food bank needed a magazine rack so I found a wine rack I liked at a second hand store and we cut some wood to fit into the bottom of the rack.


I was going to paint the bottom but it was out of rough wood so I wanted it to be smooth and match the leather furniture in the waiting room so I used the fake leather fabric that I covered the bench with to cover the wood on the bottom of the magazine/wine rack.


I cut the fabric out about 2 inches bigger than the actual piece of wood on all sides. I then folded the fabric over on itself and then used a staple gun to secure it to the underside of the wood. I do one end first and then the opposite end pulling it tight so there aren't wrinkles. I then start in the middle of the sides so that any wrinkles are at the outer edge rather than in the middle. Do each side evenly.


Here is a picture of the edge. I do it like you would when wrapping a gift. I fold one corner in and crease it in the corner and fold the other lower piece up and over it holding it down and then staple.


I then pushed it down into the bottom of the wine rack and it is finished. It was a quick project and I like that you can use scrap lumber to make it but it now is soft and won't cause slivers or be rough looking like painted wood might. I would have had to sand the wood etc. This way, it is quick and easy and looks good.


Here's to crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment