Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Bench for the Food Bank - Part 2


OK, so I forgot to take a photo of the finished bench as I hurriedly put it together after it dried and was working on decorating the podium etc. I ran tons of errands and had another dusy of a headache all day. So, please forgive me as this picture was taken with my cell phone about 8 p.m. as I was on my way out of the building. I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow and post about the ceremony and show some pictures of the finished building. It has been a busy week and it is only half over. I have almost more going on after the ceremony than before this week. If you knew that I blogged yesterday and today's blogs at 4 in the morning.....


Back to the bench - Depending on the finish of the wood, you can either use a stripping agent found at the hardware store or just sand the finish lightly. I just sanded lightly as I was using spray paint to put the finish on rather than a stain. I used a sanding block rather than electric sander so I could get into the corners better.


After it is sanded, I wipe it down with damp paper towels to get off any dust before painting. I also used thick masking tape to cover anything I didn't want painted. It had a nice base that had a leather look and was brown that would match the other chair legs so I covered that.



I picked a brown to prime it and if the brushed Bronze color I picked didn't cover it all the way, it would give it a rusted rustic look so for the undercoat primer I picked a dark brown and did three light coats. The coats dried in about five minute as I had a fan going and I was VERY happy with this paint. I have used others and had horrible results so I think I will stick with the Krylon paint. I was actually more than VERY happy with it.



I then sprayed the
bronze on and was amazed that I didn't use even one whole can of either color on the whole project. I wish I had taken some close ups but you can see in the top photo that it is almost black. I did sand lightly with 000 - fine steel wool after the brown coats of paint and then wiped it down again with an almost dry paper towel just to get any dust off. Then sprayed 2 coats of the bronze to finish it off.


My youngest said this morning, "Wow, that looks awesome mom!" She then told me how amazing and talented I am. How blessed I am to have such expressive kids.


Wish me luck with the awards ceremony today! I may get 4 hours sleep if I take another pain killer. I am grateful for pain killers this week with all the storms we have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment