Friday, May 21, 2021

Do I Trust The Covid Antibody Test - Questionable Results

Today I went in and had a Covid antibody test. I didn't go in to get tested when I was sick for a few reasons. 

One, I didn't feel like leaving the house. Two, I don't have insurance and the last time I got tested being sick last year, it cost about $187 for the test. Three, I figured going in to have the test may infect someone else. 

I figured if I waited a few weeks to get the antibody test, I would have ample antibodies for the test. I went to an after hours to a clinic tonight and had the test. It was nice that I ran into a woman who used to live near me and we had a little catch up visit. 

I then paid the $25 for the antibody test, waited 1/2 hour to get in, had the finger prick, waited five minutes to get the results, and it said I had no antibodies. The person giving the test said she has only ever seen a few positive but nearly all the tests she performs are negative. 

I am still dealing with lung issues and being tired and can't imagine that I don't have any antibodies. The woman helping me said that she donated blood to get the antibody test and said it showed she had antibodies and perhaps I should go donate blood to see if I had any antibodies. 

When I arrived home, I checked online to see if there is a difference in the antibody tests and if there are false negatives. I was really surprised by how many false negative antibody tests there are. It also depends on what type of antibody test you have done. If it is a prick test verses a blood test. 

I may donate blood to see if I have any antibodies as they promote you getting an antibody test to get you to donate. I wish I had saved myself some money as several Dr.'s videos on YouTube say that the tests are really unreliable and to not waste your money. I should have done more research before getting the test done. 

One study says that only 60% of people that tested positive for Covid with all the symptoms ended up testing for antibodies after having the illness. Another study says that older people develop less antibodies than younger people. 

I have been less diligent wearing my face mask lately, but after the test today, I think I will be wearing it more even though I feel faint when wearing it for long now. I just need to keep my distance. 

I hope I can stay well and not get sick. I want to feel good and it has been a very long time since I felt good.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment