Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Old Fashioned Movie Time Popcorn Popper Review By Nostalgia

A few months back, I found this really cute popcorn popper at a second hand store. It was like new with all the "extra" stuff that comes with it. 

A few months before, they had one that was a counter top model but wasn't sure I would use it and now that I don't have any kids home, I thought it wouldn't get used much.

When I saw this stand alone one there a bit later, it wasn't really expensive and I knew I could resell it for what I would pay so I thought I would give it a try and see how we liked it. 


Princess Five came home for Spring Break and I thought it would be fun to try it out with her home. I found it interesting when reading the instructions that the oil and popcorn bags that came with it were 6 oz bags for an 8 oz popper.

The popper in this machine was a 4 oz popper kettle. It did come with the plastic scoops so I could know exactly how much of the popcorn to put into the machine. 

The oil was a different matter, I "eyeballed" how much to put in but didn't notice when making it that the  oil was rancid.

It needs to be plugged in after assembly and I of course washed the entire thing before using it. Once plugged into the wall, you need to make sure the little plug inside the glass is plugged into the bottom of the kettle and then switch the little "On" button on the top front of the machine. 

I really liked that you could leave the little light inside on as a sort of ambient lighting for the "theater" room as the popping and light switches were different and the light was really cute.

I did record the popping and as you can see, there was no "done" button and the spinning thing didn't make the popped corn come out and so the popcorn got stuck inside the kettle and burned on the bottom. If you are going to make popcorn in this, you need to make sure you stand and watch it and dump it at the perfect time!

The popcorn bags were old which dried out the popcorn and that means that many don't pop well. It is the moisture in the popcorn that usually makes it pop well and fluffy so there were lots of kernels but I did like that they had the little "tray" to catch all the unpopped kernels which was really nice.

Also, the coconut oil blend was old and rancid so we could taste that it was "off" a little and neither of us finished our tubs. I think for all the work of cleaning it and watching it, It is more about the ambiance than the flavor or quality. I will stick with my Whirly Popper and my air popper.


Check out my video and you can see it shaking and burning some. I am sure once you get used to it, you could time it to a few seconds before being over done and enjoy it in your theater room.

Wonderful thing, I was able to sell the item for more than I spent on it so it was a profit for me! 


Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment