Thursday, December 7, 2017

Removing Paint Tranference on Dings and Scratches on Your Car

I have a 1994 Honda that my mother owned and when she passed away, my family sold it to me as I have lots of girls driving cars. I had so many crazy things going on that I never got to finish cleaning it as I would normally.


Princess Two needed a more reliable car and even though the car is older than the other cars we own, it has less miles and it is a Honda which can go well over 200,000 if taken care of well.

She came down this past weekend and I didn't want to send her with the car unless it was cleaned up so I spent a full day fixing it up and cleaning it. A few months ago, I was in the city visiting family and I got a red car ding and paint transferred onto the car and a few days later, I had black scratches from another car. I think the parking spaces are smaller in the city where she lives as it is a college town.

I couldn't get the paint off with the cleaners I tried so I took a Mr. Clean Dry Erase Sponge and after getting it wet, I used my thumb right over the ding and twisted the eraser in a circle over the paint ding and it came right off. The black ones looked more like kids were pushing the door open as they got in and that several got in and so there were many black lines but not dings.



Once again, the dry erase took the black paint transfers right off. I then used it on the inside of the door where keys left marks when getting in the car and lastly, I used it on the bumper where my mother hit something dark green. I almost wonder if she hit a garbage can as there were scrape marks in dark green.



The dry erase sponge took all of them right off and once you use the dry erase sponge, I used "totally awesome cleaner" that is $1 at the dollar store and cleaned the area.

It took off any scratch marks that didn't go through all the paint layers. If it is scratched through the paint, I use fingernail polish to cover those deep scratches. I find a color that is similar to the color of the car and cover the scratches so they don't start to rust.

I have used this technique on just about every car we have had in the past 20 years. It feels good to be getting these things off my "to do" lists. 

Have a BLESSED Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment