Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Making a Scarf Holder


Princess Five asked me several months ago to make her a "scarf holder" to take to college. 


She showed me one she had found online and we talked about the best way to make it. 

I got some plastic canvas and we started cutting it out and measured sizes. We figured she could use different sizes for thinner and thicker scarves and also some slots for leggings, nylons and other similar items. 

I got busy with cutting trees, getting new gutters, being in a play, fighting parasites, family reunions etc and didn't work on it for over a month. 

If you want to do a holder using the plastic canvas, I am sure it would work great but I am super busy and each hole needs to be wrapped. You would need to wrap every side of the inner hole cuts with plastic canvas yarn. 

I did one entire sheet. We were going to stitch it on the plastic coated wire hanger and then we were going to stitch one canvas to the bottom of the first and hang three different sheets with different holes. 

Being busy, I didn't want to finish that so when I found a bag of these wooden curtain rod rings. I thought it would be more simple to just hang these rings from the hanger and make a scarf hanger this way.

The rings already had eyelet hooks screwed into them and it was super easy to bend them just enough to fit the hanger. I laced some plastic canvas yarn around the two hooks on the edges and around the hanger so that they would stay in place.


I then tied the rings together with string and had the metal rings hanging off the bottom. You could actually just screw eyelet hooks into the bottom and top of the rings to attach them to each other. 

Or you wouldn't need to use the metal rings at all. You could just tie the rings onto the hanger with yarn and then tie each of the rings together with yarn and it would still work. Thinking about it, maybe I should have done that. 

You can add rings onto the hanger if you get more scarves and it is super fast and easy. I wish I had figured out how to just tie them on at the beginning as I think if I had used black yarn to tie them on the hanger and tied them all together using the black, it could look cute and would have probably been more secure in the end. Maybe I will redo it before she leaves. 

Princess Five was happy with the hanger and loved having something new to take her scarves to college. We have a hook to hand on the back of her closet door to put the hanger on. It is fun to see her getting excited about heading to school. 

Have a BLESSED Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment