Friday, April 1, 2016

Grandma's Poem - Your Choices



I was going through my mothers purse and stuff the night before I sent her home and there were two pages folded in her purse with a few things that needed sorting and were expired and I opened them to find that she had written this poem to her grand-children. 

She has written a few songs and we talked about having one of her children sing or read the words at her funeral and I thought that would be great until I found this poem. I think this would be a better thing for someone to read at her funeral. It took me some time to decipher it but I think I got it finally in the end. I thought I would share it with you here as it is 3:30 a.m. and I still have some packing to do for us to celebrate Easter at Princess One's new house. I hope you enjoy your weekend! 
 
Your Choices
Dedicated to all of my grandchildren

What can I give you small babe of my child (or youth of today)
Before it’s my time to depart
From all of my days, and the lessons they’ve taught
To guide you to make a wise choice

When out in this wide world you finally go
To the future which nobody knows.
And the choices before you confusing and hard
The proof of your worth they’ll disclose

I’ll be there beside you though no one can see
And I’ll whisper my words in your ear.
Though no one can hear me and you may be sad
I’ll sing silent songs of good cheer.

When out in the world you’re surrounded by those
Who mock all the things you believe
From all of the scriptures and truths which they show
Press forward and live what you know.

The world of the spirits is as real as our own
With thousands which our world can’t see
They cheer us and help us to make the right choice
Which influences eternity!

Did you know that before you lived other wise souls
Who blazed a good path when they lived
They gave you a heritage good, wise and strong
To protect you from choosing what’s wrong

For those who come after, their path it will change
In certain directions they’ll go
So will it be happy or confusing and strange?
Because of examples you’ve shown

Remember my loved one – the choices you make
Will affect generations to come
And all your decisions whether foolish or wise
Will show all where you have come from

The whole world will tell you your life is your own
To taste with out caution or care
But this is your CHANCE to show what you stand for
And it would be wise to beware

For after we leave here – In heaven we’ll be
And heavenly scribes they record
The things that we say and the things that we do
And a movie of our memories are stored

When you’re up in heaven your judgment to see
When we see all the things that you do
Will you stand there boldly or hide in disgrace
As your life unrepented is seen

Oh child, please choose wisely as forward you go
So when up in heaven they view
Wise choices you’ve made in the life you lived here
And all heaven hosts will cheer you!

July 24, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment