Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cleaning Out the Air Conditioner in your RV or Trailer


I'm getting near finishing my trailer and I wanted to clean out the air-conditioner before I put it in storage. I couldn't remember how to clean out the filters but it wasn't hard to figure out.

Basically you take the knobs off the front of the conditioner. Pull them straight out. There shouldn't be any screws and you can't turn them while pulling it off. 
 
There are a few screws holding the cover in place. I pulled them out and it came off. Wow, I don't think I have used this except once this summer as we usually don't camp where there is electricity. 
 
I used the sink sprayer to squirt the dust out of the filters. You can purchase another filter but mine was fine and since we don't use it often, I didn't want to go to the trouble of buying and cutting a new one.

There are clips that hold the filter in place. I ended up having to "make" a few as some were missing. 

It wasn't hard to make them as they are the size of a large paper clip. 

I also pulled off the cover fabric and washed that out with some dish soap as well. I used it on the filters and it seemed to get the dirt out and ran clear.

I laid them flat to dry as I didn't want them to be warped to go back in. It is like when you wash a sweater and it twist if you hang it to dry or doesn't dry flat.

I washed the cover with "Totally awesome cleaner." The cleaner worked great getting the stuff off. It works really well on greasy dirt as well. 
 
Once I finished washing the cover, and the filters were dry. I put it back together again. I then washed the machine before putting the cover back on. It was quite dusty there so I was glad I took the time to do that. 

I put the cover back on and screwed it in and then put the knobs back on. I am so excited to almost be finished with the trailer. It has been lots of work but I think it will be worth it in the end. 
 
I only have to polish the outside and figure out the hot water tank issues and seal that hatch. 

It has been leaking rust since the snow and ice. I think it will be nice to not have the trailer in my front yard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment