Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Fixing the Seam on a Suitcase




Over the years, we have had lots of travel with the family being as large as it is. It is inevitable that we would have some issues with suitcase seams. 

Sometimes, it is not on the seam but a tear from something at the airport or when it was being moved from plane to plane. 

I have had to fix several suitcases. I learned from the first that just doubling or tripling the thread doesn't give enough strength to the case to work.

In order for the seam (or tear) to hold, you need heavy duty thread. The cotton threads you would use for tatting or crocheting is too soft and will tear easily so you can't really use that either. 

You can buy heavy duty thread at any craft supply store or sometimes a shoe repair place will have some. I had it in brown but I figured it wouldn't make any difference to the case if I used the brown. 

Princess Two used this case this last weekend and said it had a tear in it.

When we both arrived home from our travels, she showed me the tear. It was actually the seam coming out of the bottom of the zipper around the corner. It is sometimes easier to sew if you can stabilize the area with some safety pins. I was lucky that it wasn't from being pulled or torn, it was just a seam coming out so I was able to sew it without much difficulty. 


You can double the thread if you choose but with this little bag, it was fine just using one. There is a piece of thin plastic on the inside of the seam. If you
have a thimble, it is best to use it when pushing the needle through the plastic as it will sometimes be difficult to get through. If I don't have the thimble, I will sometimes use a pair or scissors and push the needle through with those. I actually have used the side of the plastic or wooden spool of thread to push it through. That is what I used today. 

You can see that I am pushing the needle through with the thread. It doesn't take long but saves you from having to purchase a new suitcase. 

Once you have stitched all the way through the ripped or unused portion of the case, pull it through and do a few knots as you don't want it to pull apart or break when there is stress placed on the seam when the bag is packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment