Friday, July 8, 2011

Yummy Rice with Arugula and Veggies



Over the past few months I have been seeing Arugula everywhere. I had never seen it in the grocery store in my life and last month there were several containers of it. Then, the food bank had tons of it and no one seemed to know what to do with it. I offered some to my sister but she tasted it and it was such a strong flavor, she didn't think her family would eat it. I didn't want it to go to waste so I dehydrated it thinking I would figure something out.


Today we had several visitors from out of town so I thought I had better make something that would look great on the plate and be filling so I experimented with some things and hoped it would work out ok.


I made my regular rice recipe but added a few extras and mixed in some grain and a few types of rice.


I used:

1 1/2 cups of short brown rice

1 1/2 cup jubilee rice mix (Lundberg rice)

2 T crushed garlic

1 T crushed red pepper sauce

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1/2 cup millet

6 1/2 cups water

1/2 stick butter

1 T lemon juice

1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds

1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds

1/4 cup raw cashews


1/4 cup dried mushrooms crushed

1/2 cup dried crushed or fresh chopped arugula

1/2 cup dried crushed or fresh chopped kale



I mixed all the above into the rice cooker and let it do its thing. It was done in no time and I have to say it was one of my favorite rice dishes I have ever made. I really enjoyed it. Not one flavor stood out. They all mixed nicely.



I read in this months "Health" magazine that Arugula can help with breast cancer and is high in Iron and antioxidants. I also looked it up on Wiki and it is high in Vitamin C and Potassium. The most interesting thing I found other than it has been used for centuries in most of the world's cultures was that Wiki said it was an aphrodisiac. So, if your libido is a bit sluggish, try adding some to your next salad as it has such a strong taste, it is often added to other lettuces for a salad. It looks like a dandelion green in shape and size.



You can add or subtract anything in the above recipe. I used to be scared to try new things thinking I would "ruin" the food but I am amazed that for the most part, my family will eat anything I make and are happy for it. So, give it a try and add what your family likes. Rice cookers are the BOMB!

No comments:

Post a Comment