Thursday, July 14, 2011

Handprint Quilt Finished for Princess Number 4

Princess number 4 was thrilled this week to have her hand print cousins camping quilt finished. I have to say that I also was thrilled to have this quilt finished.



As you can see by the photos, she is happy with the quilt. I am also happy with the quilt. Each one of these quilts I have done, I have been able to learn and adapt what I have done wrong on the others and fix on the next. This quilt was so much easier than the others.


I did something on this quilt I wish I had done on the others. I added a personal message quilt square right in the middle of the quilt. I wrote on it: "Made for (Insert Princess number 4's name) on 6-11 with love by mom. I love you" I think it is fun that she gets to know what year it was made stitched on the quilt. These quilts have everyone plus a few married and steps on them. The older girls only have those were were around at the time.



The quilts are very heavy as they have jeans every square. It alternates on the top and then on the bottom. It is a reversible quilt as you can see by looking at the back here. On two of the quilts I did the little fringe edges on the front and this princess wanted the seams on the back so that is what I did.


You will be pleased to know (or at least I am excited about it) that I am about 1/4th done quilting the squares for Princess number 5's quilt. I have them all pinned, cut and ready to quilt. I am hoping to have it done by the start of school finishing it this summer. It would be a great thing to have off my "to do" list.


It has been fun learning on this project and making heirloom items that the girls can enjoy and reminisce about during their lives. I can picture their children matching up their hands to the prints of their parents and aunts as they grow.


I don't know if I would have started them knowing how much work it would be but now that I have figured them out it would have been and is much easier. So, if you choose to do this project, read about all the mistakes I made on the first "hand-print" memory quilt so you can go easier on yourself than I did.


I can't wait to post the last quilt being finished..... I hope it is soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment