Monday, July 11, 2011

Dehydrated Pickles -Yes, Really


I have lots of fruit this week that I have been dehydrating and there was a large jar of pickles on the counter and I had the thought. "I wonder what dried pickle chips would taste like?"

I thought they would probably taste quite good. I cut up the rest of the pickles that were in the jar and placed them on the dehydrator in thin slices.

I left them on the tray for about 12 hours and they were quite dry. We tried them and couldn't believe how salty they were. I guess with the liquid out of them, the salt stayed and they weren't very good up front but the after taste was similar to a pickle. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.

I was putting them in a baggie not sure if I should keep them when I thought about re-hydrating them to see if they tasted good re-hydrated. I put them in a cup of water and they re-hydrated within a few minutes. I was surprised how quickly they did hydrate.

I tasted the pickles and they weren't bad but had less flavor than a normal pickle as the water seemed to dilute the flavor but the texture was great. I was happy with it. I wish I had kept the pickle juice and tried to rehydrate them in the pickle juice rather than just water. I think they would have been really good re-hydrated in pickle juice.

Unless you got a barrel full of pickles I don't know why you would need to dehydrate them and then rehydrate them. I did think if I broke them into small pieces and stuck them into tuna or something where they would rehydrate and would give the texture but not be overwhelmingly salty, they would be good.

I think I will make some tuna with the dehydrated pickles this week and see how it works. That actually may be helpful when you are traveling. I will let you know. I think even a little kit with dried pickles, onions and some sunflower seeds that I could just pour in once I opened the tuna would be good on a picnic where you didn't want to take a cooler or something. 

I am adding this link to the post about how I tried them in Tuna. The kids liked them and didn't notice the pickles. Here is a link. Here is a link to my video on dehydrating pickles
Here is a link to my ultimate Tuna Sandwhich.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the result of your curiosity...I was wondering how it would taste myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my other posts about dehydrating things. I have yogurt, bananas, plums, peas, corn, carrots, peas, apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, lemons, limes, grapefruit, spinach, making vegetable flours, etc.

    ReplyDelete