Monday, July 26, 2010

New Finish on Life part 3 - Getting a "handle" on things

When I started with my mom's dresser. It was missing a handle. I was at a second hand store and saw some handles on the shelf. I should have just bought them as they were $0.75 each but I wondered if they would fit the hole size of the drawer so I bought one to "try" out and see.


I went to the workshop and put it on the unfinished dresser and it fit! I liked the r
ustic look and went back to the store to buy them. They were gone. I had only been gone 1/2 hour or so but no one claimed to have bought them. I went to Ace hardware and looked for similar handles. I went to Home Depot looking for them. Finally, I went to a specialty cabinet shop and they looked them up from the little paper on them and they found that they were custom order handles and were over $20 each! I was upset as I needed 8 handles.


T
he dresser would have to do with something else. I went back to the hardware store and bought a 10 pack of plane looking handles and was resolved to use them but was so upset for myself for not buying them when I was there. I thought perhaps I could go back to the second hand store and just look one more time.


I prayed t
hat if there were a way to get the handles that would match and would be cheaper than the one's I just bought that I didn't even like that God would open a way up for me. I went to the second hand store and went in and looked around again and while I was in there, a woman came in and commented that she was just coming in to see if they had put out any more of the cute handles that she bought earlier. I asked her if they were the ones that looked like the one in my purse and she said they were.


I asked her if I could buy them off her for more than she paid for them and she told me I could have them for the price she paid. I was so excited. However, when we went to get them, she only had 5 of them. There had been 8 more when I left.
She asked if I could just use the 6 and put different pulls on the other drawer. I told her I had been all over town. She told me how you can use acid to rust regular handles if you want the rustic look. I wasn't sure what to do.


She was standing in the check out when she said, "Let me check something..., I have a friend who I told to buy handles any time she saw them for me and perhaps she was here and bought the other handles for me." She called her friend with me standing there, her friend said she did buy them and that she had them for her. I was able to get all 8 handles at the $0.75 each.



No one can tell me that God doesn
't love and care about me. Stupid as it may seem to some to pray about simple things, I know He loves and cares for me. Because I ask, He provides. I have run into that same woman several times since in town and we talk and visit. I feel extremely blessed to have gotten a "handle" on how much God cares for His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment