Friday, May 21, 2010

Coconut Cream, Curry Chicken and Dehydrated Veggie soup

I wanted to try using the vegetable I dehydrated that I haven't used in cooking before. I took all the stuff I dehydrated last week and made a soup out of it. I kept them in baggies all in the same Tupperware for easy use. Basically, I opened the Tupperware, opened the bags, dumped them in with water and we were on our way.


Coconut Cream, Curry Chicken and Dehydrated Veggie Soup:

Dried Carrots ( I tried crinkle cut and baby carrots)
Dried Celery
Dried Spinach
Dried small tomatoes
Dried mushrooms
Dried sweet peas whole
Dried string beans broken in to pieces
Dried onions chopped
Dried Broccoli
Canned or cooked chicken or beef. My kids wanted chicken. I used some I canned a few months ago.
2 onion bullion packets or cubes
Garlic powder about 1 tsp
Curry powder about 4 tsp
Coconut oil 4 tbs
1 pint cream or you could use 1/2 cup dried milk whisked in.
salt to taste.

OK, I dumped everything but the cream and coconut oil into the pan and filled it with water. I actually let it boil for an hour but thought the carrots were still hard so I put it in the pressure cooker to help it along but if left boiling, it would have been OK. We tried it without the cream and coconut oil but the kids weren't really excited about it. If we had soaked the veggies first, it wouldn't have taken so long to cook. I put them in dry. If you want, soak them overnight or on the counter all day. You could also put it in a crock pot and it would be done when you arrived home.


I added the cream and coconut. The daughter I had try it first had four bowls. It was really good. It tasted Thai. I think we will do this again. We thought it would have been really good in a thicker sauce over rice.


The peas were very good. The beans were good. The tomatoes were good. The onions, mushrooms, celery, spinach, and broccoli were all good. The crinkle carrots weren't liked by anyone. The baby carrots were better. It was weird that the carrots didn't take the flavor of the soup. They tasted like carrots. It is nice to know that in an emergency, we can enjoy good food with everything we have on hand. This could be made with fresh, frozen or canned veggies as well.

We finished it off. Not a drop left. I think I will try it with smaller veggie pieces and a thicker coconut curry sauce to put over rice! Happy rehydrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment