Monday, September 1, 2014

Six Million Dollar Labor Day

It was a very busy Labor Day as we went out of town to see another niece that just returned from a mission in Hungary and we wanted to support her so we went out of town on Saturday and since it was Prince number one's Birthday as well as mine this month, we met for lunch in a central town. We arrived home later on Sunday and really wanting to go to bed for the night, but knowing it was a bit too early so I talked the girls into playing a game I bought a few months ago that we hadn't had a chance to play.

My girls had never heard of the "Six Million Dollar Man" before. I got them to play it with me and they both thought it was really stupid. I then explained that we didn't have cell phones and hand held video games back then. We didn't have computers, dvd's, internet, and only had about three channels to watch on tv. It was even before any video games at home or arcade games. Any game that had someone from TV on it was "cool" back then.

 Here is a link to the opening theme. Princess Five was in awe that I knew the words and said them with the credits. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him...." They really don't understand how it was back then with only a few main shows to watch. They have so much available now it is interesting how we have adapted and how much more will change in their lifetime.


They told me how old I was and it started a long conversation about Party Lines on phones, Atari video games and how I was in high school  when it came out and we were thrilled with our "Breakout" and "Astroid" games and how we would play them for hours. Now, they get board with their crazy apps that have lots of colors, layers, graphics etc. How would they handle going back forty years and not having phones and being in constant connection with others electronically? I told them how I took the public bus to school by myself some days and it was ten cents to ride and we would get paper transfers and ride around all day. We lived right downtown and used to walk miles downtown by myself with a friend in alleys, university campuses, parks and streets for hours and we just had to "Be home before dark." and my parents didn't know where we were but moslty what friend we were with. 
 
They kept asking me questions about my youth and were really shocked at how much technology has arrived in forty years. I told them that VCR's came out just as I graduated but most people didn't have one until Princess One was born. They had a hard time believing it all. 

We ended up watching "The Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman" on youtube. We laughed so much but Lee Majors was so old that I had to explain that the movie was 20 years after the tv show. The special effects were funny but the wood panel station wagon brought fits of laughter from me as the bad guys chased him while driving that wagon. It reminded me of our wagon that looked just like that and how we used to lay all the seat flat and my mom would drive and turn corners and we would slide around in the back laughing all the way as we slid into each other. 

Another time, she turned the corner and the side door on the back wasn't latched and opened and I was sliding toward the door but all our milk jug glass jars we were returning to the store flew out and broke and I grabbed onto something saving myself from flying out the door. 

That brought another new conversations about how milk was delivered and how we had to return the glass milk jugs and I forgot to tell them how we would take our wagon and go door to door collecting everyone's glass soda jars to take back to the store for the deposit of a penny or two on each jar making ourselves some money.

Anyway, it was a fun night doing toenails, finishing this puzzle we started weeks ago and playing a few different games. I think the girls enjoyed hearing about my childhood. I am glad to be home. 

Hope you have a wonderful LABOR DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment