Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Making Curtains and Hamper Cover Out of Pillowcases

Princess Four is at college and came home for Labor Day. I had two pillow shams that are shown here that Princess Four didn't want to have on her bed as I bought other pillows for her bed. 


She wanted a curtain so I figured I would use the pillow sham cases fabric to make a curtain.

When her sister went off to college, I made her a cover for her laundry hamper. Click here to see that post.

I show on there how I made the cover. 

I did this one just a bit differently because I had limited fabric due to only have the two pillow cases. At first, I thought I would only be able to do one or the other and she really wanted the window topper curtain to make her room look more like home so I figured the different ways I could use the fabric to make both. 

I tried several options but knowing that I would need the entire length of the fabric to be long enough for the window, I realized I would need to cut the fabric a bit differently than I was planning. 


By using one for the top and wrapping it all the way around the hamper, I could cut off a thin strip for the length of the case which would be used for the slot portion of the curtain as it would be a skinny but long piece. 

I then used the second pillow sham case for the sides of the hamper and the bottom of the lid. I actually cut off the width I would need for the sides as you can see in the picture to the left. I then measured it and by cutting it in exact thirds, I was able to have a piece for both sides and the third for the under side pocket of the lid.

The long strip from the sides of that was what I used to make the valance (hanging part) of the window curtain.

I pinned the entire thing to the hamper with the fabric inside out so that I could pin it to fit and have the seams outside. 

Once it was pinned but not sewn, I turned it right side out and tried it on the hamper. 

I sewed the cover for the lid first so that I could have it hold the rest on securely while I pinned what was needed to tighten it up. 

It was loose at first when I sewed it but then pinned where it needed to be tighter and then stitched it to fit more uniformly.

Because I had limited fabric, I didn't have enough to push down inside which held on the cover that I made for Princess Three's hamper. 

I thought about sewing in some other type of fabric on the upper edge to hold the sides up but I sewed the bottom tightly enough that for the most part, it stayed up. 

Just to reinforce the top from falling out, I stitched on little ties to the corners of the fabric which I tied to the holes inside with a bow so that she can take it off and wash it. 

If I had a bit more fabric, I could have put a draw string or elastic inside a little case so that it would stay on the inside but once again, fabric was an issue so I didn't want to use different fabric.

I just zig-zagged the ends of the strings to the corner fabric so they wouldn't pull out when tied or rip the fabric it was sewn onto when pulled. She is the only one that will see the inside so it at least will match the decor of her room and she will have a way to transport clothes to the laundry when needed. Princess Three brings her dirty clothes home in the hamper and the puts the clean clothes in a garbage sack inside the hamper when she returns and LOVES her hamper. 

I don't think Princess Four ever thought much about it and used a flex hamper from the dollar store but I think she will like using the new one as she sent me a text with the picture at the top thanking me for making the curtain and the hamper when she got back to school tonight.

I sewed the two long pieces of fabric together with right sides together and then folded over the top piece to make the "sleeve" for the rod to go into with a little edge at the top for a ridged decorative edge. 

Depending on the edge of the pillow case used, you may not need to hem the bottom of the curtain. I ended up having to hem it but as you can see from the picture, it still looks great and now matches the bed spread, dust ruffle, pillows and now her laundry hamper.  I also got to do her nails today before she left and did her toes last night so I think she is glad she came home for the weekend. 

I got two WONDERFUL foot rubs out of the deal so I am VERY glad she came home as well! I do miss her contagious laugh and her constant back and foot rubs but know she is in a good place. Proud of you Princess!

No comments:

Post a Comment