Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Tangled Wig Got Tangled


I have a few wigs that the kids have used for skits over the years. Here is link to several boys wearing our wigs for a skit Princess Four did for student body president.


With that, we have had to comb them out and re-curl them several times. I have always used the spray in conditioning spray to get them to comb out. 

After I posted this post here, Here is a post where I show how to fix Barbie, doll and Puppets hair, curling, combing and styling them. a friend told me her friend used to use a few drops of Dawn dish-washing detergent in water to comb out her daughters dolls hair etc. 
 
I haven't tried that ever as this way has worked just fine for us but I have to say that the tangled "Tangled" wig didn't comb out as well as I would have liked. 

Normally, when I comb out a wig with the conditioner spray, It ends up being smooth and I am able to ringlet it. However, this time, the frizzy part stayed frizzy. It may be that someone at some point tried to use a straightener or something on it which made it frizzy but just that one section is frizzy. 


Basically, to comb out a wig, you get a towel to catch any hair that breaks or comes loose. You can make your own conditioning spray by adding about 3 tablespoons of conditioner to a spray bottle and then filling it with warm water. Shake vigorously and you are ready. 
 
I like a soft bristly brush rather than a comb or stiff brush as they pull out more hair. 

Start by spraying the wig lightly with the conditioner and start brushing it out. I do a section at a time starting by brushing at the bottom. The knots will untangle and then as you work your way up the hair, it should get less and less difficult. 
 
If you start at the top and there are lots of tangles down from there, you end up ripping out more hair. This is the best way to work on kids tangled hair as well. Especially if the hair is long. It hurts and pulls more hair starting at the top. work your way from the bottom tangle up. 

Once you have them all combed out, you can use sponge rollers to curl the wig. It should still be damp from the conditioning spray so you just have to pick up small sections and start rolling. You can use any type of roller, even hot rollers that aren't hot. Just anything that will give you the size or curl you are looking for. 

NEVER use a hot item to curl or straighten a wig. Some are synthetic and will melt. It is just easier to stick with rollers for this. 

Princess Four had fun modeling the wigs for me. She has always had very long hair (click here for posts about that one and two) and her little person on our finger print wall is Rapunzel so I thought it fitting that she be the "Tangled"  wig model. See the post about our finger print wall here.

No matter what her hair looks like, Princess is beautiful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment