Monday, December 9, 2013

Washing Wool Coats and Sweaters in the Washing Machine


Since my knitting days in New Zealand, I have had to wash lots of wool sweaters. I have also owned many wool coats. 

Most wool sweaters and coats have a care tag that say "dry clean only."

I used to hand wash my sweaters but in the past few years, the washing machines have more cycles and better options.

I now use a detergent such as Woolite and hand wash any spots and then use the machine to wash  the entire garment. 


I use the gentle or hand wash cycle and then dry the sweaters flat and hang the coats to dry. I hang them on a door knob near a heat vent to help it dry quicker.

Princess one needed a maternity coat and I found one at a second hand store and it was black wool. I used the machine to wash it and it turned out great. I hung it to dry and it has been perfect for her. 


The other day, Princess Five found a wool coat at a second hand store. She liked it but I wanted to wash it before she wore it.

I used soap to wash the lining before putting it in the washing machine and then put it on small load, cold water and gentle / hand-wash cycle.


NEVER put wool items in the dryer as it can shrink. Also NEVER wash wool items in hot water. It WILL shrink. Always use cold. 

If it is a dark color, NEVER wash the item with something else as sometimes sweaters made of wool are made in other countries where the dye isn't set well. 


There are sweater dryers you can purchase but I usually just lay them on the top of the dryer until mostly dry and then I put it on a hanger to fully dry. 

Make sure when hanging your wool coat or jacket to dry that you use a sturdy plastic hanger. Sometimes wooden hangers can "bleed" the stain onto your item. Wire hangers can rust onto you item so be sure to use plastic.    

No comments:

Post a Comment