Thursday, March 21, 2013

Heavenly Fathers Gift - Prom Gown Part 3

It's finished! So much time put in but well worth it. Princess four was so excited today when I had her try it on when I had it done except for the sleeve on the back. I needed her to have it on to pin it just right before sewing it on. 

On the sleeves, you can see in this photo, I did two types here so she could choose which she liked best. She didn't like her underarm showing so she opted for the sleeve hanging over the shoulder like a cap sleeve. 


After deciding which sleeve to do, I sewed all around the edges hemming it so the fabric didn't fray. Then I pinned the front in pleats instead of gathers so it would lay flat. I did something stupid as I pinned it, I had the pins pointing towards the side seam and princess got pricked and a little blood got on the dress which I had to get out quickly. Thus, the unhappy Princess look. 

After that, I pinned it toward the front or back so she didn't get pricked. Next, I knew that the dress doesn't stay up well and the sleeves I was putting on weren't meant for weight of the dress so I needed to make straps. 

She had some clear straps from her dance gear so I sewed little pieces of ribbon on the front and back as well as the top center of the sleeve and hooked on the clear straps so that the dress will be more comfortable and that the sleeves will stay up and her bra straps won't show as we have the straps now hooked onto the sleeve. 

You can see how I did that in the two pictures.  They are adjustable if anyone else wears the dress. I sewed on the front of the sleeves by hand as I didn't want the machine look. I wanted more of a princess look than a "shawl" look on the sleeves/shoulder so I gathered up right down the shoulder line of the sleeve. 
 
I used thread at first but then she reminded me that her date is tall and that she has to do twirls under his arm for their "Promenade" dance. I then decided to use white thin round elastic. I wanted to use beading clear elastic but I sent all that with Princess one when she left, she took all the jewelry making supplies. See a post about that here. 
 
Using the elastic allows her to move her arm up and down without the tightness on the shoulder restricting her movement.It gives it more of a soft look but still feminine and princessy according to Princess four.

I finished sewing the sleeves in front, tacked up the hems so they didn't show on the edges and pinned the back so I could have her try it on for one last fitting and she got so excited. We talked about jewelry. I am going to let her wear my real pearl necklace. It looks so beautiful. 

After she had her last try on, I sewed on the back of the sleeves and then ironed it and sewed on the snap for the back bow.

One thing I learned the hard way. Never try on an expensive gown in a bathroom where several girls with long hair, do their hair once or twice a day. 


I ended up with enough hair to stuff a small pillow that collected with static cling to the dress on the lining, in between the lining and top fabric and on the top of the dress. I ended up having to iron the top and bottom layer of the skirt and the sleeves and then took tape and "de-haired" the dress for half an hour. 

I won't make that mistake again! :-) You can see in the top photo how beautiful the skirt looks ironed and without hair. I am excited for Princess to have her big first date. I hope it will be a magical night for her. 

Thanks again for donating the beautiful dress friend! I found a dime today walking into walmart for something. I couldn't help remember all the times God has reminded me to trust Him. We've had lots this week alone.  


No comments:

Post a Comment