Monday, July 20, 2020

Going Through the Children's Books

While the girls were home last week getting Princess Four's car fixed, the girls and I did lots of projects. I shared that we put in some decorative rock, and landscaped the backyard next to the house. 

I forgot that I didn't post about other projects. I do this sometimes as I take pictures to post about something and think I did a post about it at the time it was going on. Later, I look for the post only to realize that I was busy at the time and it didn't get posted, and I moved on to current things, and it never got posted. I started to reference this post, and then realized it didn't get written, so I will write this post today and share my other gratitude post tomorrow!

While the girls were here, they went through LOTS of things in the house. We have been working on thinning out the items that I won't need and they don't want to keep for their families or future. It was super wonderful that we were able to get through stacks of stuff stored in the garage, and some stuff in the house.


One morning, I woke to find, they were going though the book shelves. They went through all the children's books in the house. They got on a video chat with Princess one and her husband, and they went through two very tall bookshelves of books. Several of my girls really enjoyed reading. It is interesting to me to see how there are some books that all the girls like, such as Seuss books, but then each tended to read different series of books. 

Princess One loved Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Yet, Princess Five read more Sci-Fi books, and Princess Two liked books on body language, color coding, poetry, and romance. Others, never really enjoyed reading, but learned better through other media. 

Several years ago, we went through the book that were series. Each girl in turn picked their favorite sets of books, and I wrote them down. Last year or so, we went through all the Dr. Seuss books and each girl picked in turn, the book they would like from the collection. 

I thought I had posted about going through the books at some point, but I searched to put links on this post and couldn't find links about us going through things. I think the problem is that I am so busy when they are here, I get so many things to post about, that I don't share about the sorting stuff usually. I do want to share why I go through things in this way with each person getting to choose items if they want. Here is a link to part 1 of that post. I have a part 2 and 3 on how we go through things, but in part one, I show pictures of their "lists" and that was when we divided up the book sets.  I also posted about how I purchased all the children books in two posts. Here is part one of the post on buying from the library, and here is a link to part two of that post. 

The girls each kept a pile of books they wanted and were very respectful of sharing and divided some smaller sets if needed so that each girl was able to get some of the books they enjoyed and remembered, or would like to share with their children. I was able to share with them two of the books from my childhood that I still had in the bookshelf, but none of them remembered they were mine as a child, so that was fun to be able to share that with them as well. 

I have a box for Princess One, and each girl has a shelf or two of books that are theirs anytime they want them as they are now all grouped by person. Princess Five was able to put all of hers in the bookshelf in her room, and put those belonging to her sisters on their shelves. The books are all quite organized now. My biggest thrill, was that I had three banana boxes full of books to get rid of after keeping a few "grandma" books for the grandchildren to read, or be read to while visiting Grandma's house. 

I think it is cute that the girls chose favorite books to leave at grandmas house both in the Christmas and Holiday books, and children's books. They knew that all of them would want the book, so they were good enough to just choose to leave it here until they can't anymore. At that point, they know how I like the divying to go, and they will choose numbers and go in order so that no one person takes everything. I LOVE that we are cleaning out the house and look forward to each new visit as we seem to be able to let go of more and more each visit. 

Have a safe and blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment