Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Removing Screen Print or Painted Logos on Glass Items

Some time ago, I blogged about purchasing these "Blessing" jars for my girls. I got them on clearance at a clothes store. Here is a link to that post. 

I shared in another post how to make your own money jars, and in that post, I shared that Princess Five didn't like the "eye" on the jar so I removed it. I didn't blog about how I got the "eye" off the jar.

I had purchase one for Princess Four and when she returned from her mission and was getting ready to go to college, I asked her if she wanted it, and if so, did she want me to remove the "eye" on hers as well. She did want me to take it off, so I thought while I was doing it, I would share with you how to do that on glass. 

I have another post on how I get screen print off metal and some plastics but the same method does not work on all materials. Here is a link to that post.

To remove the paint from glass, you can use this method I share using a paint stripper product but if you don't want to purchase that container of chemicals, you can use this method for cheaper. 

Wear glove and get some acetone fingernail polish remover. Use a cotton ball and go over the paint that you want to remove using the acetone on the cotton ball. It may, or may not take the paint off just using the acetone. It will take off the overlay clear paint on the screen print usually so it softens up the paint and makes it easier to remove. 

Get a straight edge razor or flat sharper knife edge and don't press down on the glass when doing this, but just gently rub the razor edge over the now softened paint and it should easily come off. You don't want to scrape the glass causing scratches in the glass. 

Sometimes, you can just use a scouring pad to remove the logo at this point rather than a razor or knife edge, but since I wanted to keep some of the printing, I opted not to use that on this project. I have used a scrubber before with good results as it doesn't scratch the glass, but removes the paint. 

Once you have scrubbed or scraped off all the paint, clean it up by using more acetone and then wash the item thoroughly. You don't want to leave acetone residue on the glass. 

Once the jar was clean, I stuck it back in the packaging so she could safely transport it to her new place at school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment