Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Book of Life or Lives


A few years ago I had reason to get my kids medical records in order and while at it, I started gathering other information and ended up putting them all in a book. It has been SO handy over the years. When I needed to get passports, drivers licenses, shots and other documents, I had all the information in one place and even if I wasn't home and someone needed documents, I could tell them right where it was located.


After seeing what happened with Hurricane Katrina victims, I took it a bit further by adding DVD and CD back ups of files and pictures off my computer. I have them all handy and a copy of the book at another location far enough that if I had any type of emergency, that book would be safe along with a copy of all our negatives so that if the house burned, I would be able to replace all our pictures.


The front has an index. There are dividers between each children's files. Each child has 1. Social Security Card. 2. Passport. 3. Immunization records. 4. Birth Certificate 5. Church records. 6. Finger prints. 7. DNA samples such as hair, fingernail clippings etc. 8. Current Photo (school picture for that year) 9. Copy of their drivers license. 10. Current medical records including a drawing of the body marking moles, scars, height, weight, eye color, copy of dental records, broken bones, hair color, etc. 11. Extra items such as awards received, diplomas etc.


In the main area, there is an index. The following items are included: 1. Car titles. 2. House deed or mortgage information. 3. Spare cash. 4. DVD/CD of computer files and pictures. 5. Life insurance policies. 6. Copies of medical insurance. 7. Copies of all items in your wallet including store cards, insurance cards, drivers license, credit cards, bank atm/debit cards, etc. 8. Stocks/bonds/other investment information. 9. Prescription or medical alert information (you can include a bag of prescription medication you could rotate through monthly so you would have at least a weeks worth of medication ready at all times) 10. Legal documents such as wedding and death certificates. 11. Diplomas and current professional licenses or degrees along with contact information on replacing them and keeping them current.


After each Doctor, dentist or eye exam, I replace the old record with the new keeping the information current. If a child were ever lost, you would have all the information and a current photo available within minutes rather than trying to get medical personnel to get the information and if it were a weekend, you may have a problem getting that information. Having it all in one book you can take it in if there were an injury and give them a copy of all their medical records.


When we moved, I collected all their records including copies of x-rays and have those also in folders inside the binder divided in each person's medical section so I can find anything within seconds.



If the house were on fire, I would grab my book and run. The nice thing is that all the information is included in a second book at another location so even if it were lost, the only thing I wouldn't have are the originals but if you have copies, you can obtain new originals in most cases.


I acquired all the medical information within a day as most offices are really kind to help when you explain what you are doing. We spent one evening doing the finger prints and marking moles, scars etc and obtaining the DNA samples. The whole process didn't take me more than a week or so and I have really enjoyed it over the years. When it was time to get the girls driver's licenses, I just took the sheet protector out with their main information and had it all handy within seconds. When we needed passports, I took 5 sheet protectors with me and we had everything needed.


One last section I would suggest is an "In case of Death" section. I included the will and living will information or advanced directives. This would be needed in case you become unable to make medical choices for yourself, you appoint someone to make those choices for you. I have this done for my mother but haven't gotten around to finishing this section for myself but I think I will take the challenge and finish it this week. I will include: 1. Copy of your will. 2. Living will. (This can be printed for your state online just do a search) 3. Life insurance policies. 4. Contact information for all your regular monthly bills with monthly average payments and due dates. 5. Bank accounts and the names on the accounts. 6. Copy of birth, marriage/divorce certificates. 7. A list of contacts or names of people you wish to be notified in case of your death such as friends they may not know. (A copy of your Christmas card list would be a good list) 8. Funeral obituary draft listing family member, (survived by) list of accomplishments in life you wish to be listed. 9. Program instructions such as favorite song to be performed or played, wishes for Paul bearers, favorite flower, outfit you would like to be dressed in for burial. 10. Any plot or burial insurance or information. 11. What you would like written on your headstone. Some put a favorite quote, children's names, spouse, flower, etc.


If something were to happen to me, it would make my family's life so much easier having my will, living will, banking information, funeral wishes, donation card and other things right at their home already with a current photo and obituary written out. A little planning now can really help those you love later when they may be under distress anyway.

Lastly, I would include any family heirloom items that aren't framed or in a vault or safety deposit box. Any coins, stamps or other items that may be of value to you or another family member that can't be replaced by insurance. Great Grandpa's diary may be best scanned and put on a DVD. Some things money can't replace. Taking the time now to prepare may save you hours later trying to contact each health department, vital statistics, bank, broker etc. My mother almost died two years ago and it would have been so much easier for me to take over her affairs if this information had been organized.


My hope is that none of us will need it but if we do, it sure is handy to have it all in one place. Happy organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment